Friday, August 29, 2014

Two colored UGA burlap wreath

 
I am just so proud of myself...and I didn't even scope out Pinterest before I tried my hand at making a two colored UGA burlap wreath!
 
Materials I used:
  • 16'' wire wreath (three rows)
  • ~22 feet of burlap (2x because I used two colors - probably have to double that if just using one color) - nice 6'' rolls from hobby lobby (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/6-red-burlap-spool-701185/) - of course it's cheaper online than what I paid (of course!)
  • 5/8 ribbon (various colors - I used swiss dot pattern)
  • 1 yard of regular burlap fabric - I probably used about 1/2 of this actually
  • Red, White and Black acrylic paint (I actually used a red fabric marker)
  • Floral wire
  • Staples or glue gun (or you can sew it!)
  • Plastic shopping bags
 
Process:
I began with securing the burlap to my wire wreath using floral wire (22' gauge, just want I had already). Then did the 1 and 3 rungs with one color, and the opposite color in the middle - and I alternated until I was finished. I pushed the burlap through the rungs and made a medium sized loop on the first on the wreath. When I was finished (~15 minutes) - I had to return to the store to get more burlap, because the 15' wasn't enough, I cut and tied it off using the gauged wire.
 
I think added my ribbon tying it around the wire rungs as I felt necessary - I heat secured the ends of the ribbon so they would not fray.
 
Center:
This is what took the longest - I didn't want to wait on the paint to dry...but you must! I printed of an image of what I wanted the center piece to look like and used it as a template. I did one color at a time and made sure each one was dry before I started the other. A good protective measure would be to add mod podge to your image before adding to your wreath.
 
Pulling it all together:
Once the center piece was done - I painted it completely before I cut to the proper shape and stuffed - I attached it to the wreath. I finished the center piece by cutting a large circle around my painting -two ply - and stapled the pieces together (probably better to sew, but you could also hot glue) - leaving an opening to stuff with plastic shopping bags. Once stuffed (here is where I probably should have added mod podge for sealing) arrange securely to wreath using floral wire.
 
Viola! You're all done.
 



 
 
post signature

0 comments: